The Legion of Mary came into existence in Dublin, Ireland on the 7th of September, 1921.It is an organization which renders it service on voluntary basis and is established in almost every country. In Cordel, the Legion of Mary was established on the 12th of March, 1956 under the leadership of Rev. Fr. P. Saldanha. A unit of the Legion of Mary is called a Praesidium. The Praesidium of Cordel was named as the “Mother of Sorrows”. Due to some reasons the association was closed in the year 1977. Rev. Fr. Elias D’souza restarted the association as “Mary Immaculate” on the 7th of December, 1986. At present there are 34 active and 93 auxiliary members.
The objective of the Legion is the glory of God through the holiness of its members developed by prayer and active co-operation in Mary’s and Church’s work.
The legion sees as its top priority the spiritual and social welfare of each individual. The members work for the betterment of the parish by paying a visit to houses, the old and the sick. They also render social service by visiting orphanages, hospitals, old age houses. Every legionary is supposed to carry out a weekly apostolic work in the spirit of faith and in union with Mary.
Present Office – Bearers: